Join us for a screening of the new documentary about legendary waterman, Laird Hamilton, directed by Rory Kennedy!
TAKE EVERY WAVE: THE LIFE OF LAIRD HAMILTON
newportFILM Outdoors presented by Lila Delman Real Estate International
Thursday, July 30
Newport Beach House: A Longwood Venue
55 Purgatory Rd, Middletown, RI 02842
6:30PM – Venue & food vendors open
7:15PM – Live music
8:30PM – Film followed by Q&A with director Rory Kennedy
SUGGESTED DONATION: $5
– Free popcorn
– On-site food vendors: Diego’s, Boru Noodle Bar, LemonsAid, Tricycle Ice Cream, King Arthur Flour Cookie Truck
– BYO picnic, blankets & chairs
– Bike racks on-site provided by Bike Newport
– Rain Venue: Jane Pickens Theater, 49 Touro Street, Newport
– Per Middletown Police, there is NO PARKING on Middletown residential streets. Limited parking in the Newport Beach House lot.
– Please note: this event will be on the beach in the sand!
ABOUT THE FILM:
“A compelling look at the remarkable achievements and unbending personality of a legendary surfing innovator.” – Los Angeles Times
TAKE EVERY WAVE: The Life of Laird Hamilton tracks the remarkable life and legendary career of big wave surfer Laird Hamilton. Much admired by the public, though often disdained or ignored by the surf industry itself, Laird is a unique sports icon—an athlete who has refused to compete professionally yet has dominated big wave surfing as no other figure in history has ever done.
Laird’s biographical story is told against the backdrop of a winter surf season on Kauai, where El Niño storm systems threaten to bring the biggest surf in decades. Mixing never-before-seen archival footage, with contemporary verité scenes shot in Southern California, Bermuda and Kauai, Take Every Wave weaves the past and present into an intimate and compelling portrait of a superstar athlete at the top of his game. Threaded throughout is a revealing, deeply personal interview with Laird as well conversations with the family members, friends, collaborators and detractors who know him best.