Democracy demands wisdom and vision in its citizens. Join us in telling policy makers that the humanities matter. Write to your legislator, sign a petition, and please, share your humanities story with us using the form below so that your words may be used in advocacy efforts. Find resources here to help make the case for the humanities and follow along on social media using #HumanitiesMatter #SavetheNEH.
What impact do Councils make nationwide?
In FY 2017, state councils:
- Leveraged over $4 for every federal dollar awarded in grants. Funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities is crucial for securing additional support from individuals, foundations, corporations, and state/local governments.
- Conducted programs in nearly every Congressional district and over 5,300 communities nationwide.
- Worked with over 8,800 partner organizations.
In the News:
- Statement from the Federation of State Humanities Councils in response to the President’s FY 2019 Budget Request
- Rhode Island leads defense of National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities on House Floor
- Read a statement from the Humanities Council on the proposed FY18 federal budget cuts.
Contact Your Legislator
Use this simple action form to call or email your members of Congress to urge them to support funding for the NEH and the State Humanities Councils. Talking points about the impact of Humanities Councils is provided within the form and you’re able to personalize the message.
Tell Your Story
Email the Council to tell us why the humanities matter to you!