The Rhode Island Council for the Humanities seeks nominations for members to serve on its Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is the governing body for the Council, providing long-term vision and financial stewardship for the organization.
Board members elected in 2022 will serve a three-year term beginning in April. Board terms can be renewed once, for a total of six years of service.
We are actively seeking qualified candidates with a demonstrable commitment to the humanities in public life. In addition, we are looking for individuals who are willing and able to bring personal and/or institutional resources to support the vision and mission of the Council. The board seeks candidates who represent the diversity of the state, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, age, cultural background, and socioeconomic stratum.
In particular, we are seeking candidates with interest and expertise in the following areas:
- Philanthropy: Advocates who can expand the financial resources of the Council through private giving, engaging a network of other donors, and/or engaging philanthropic institutions.
- K-12 Education: Leaders with deep knowledge of public education
- Civic Engagement: Advocates of the role of the humanities in strengthening democratic participation and addressing civic challenges
- Creative and Cultural Economy: Business and policy leaders championing the power of the humanities and arts for economic development and quality of life
- Higher Education leadership
- People with experience with national (beyond Rhode Island) foundations, as directors/trustees or as professional staff
Please contact Elizabeth Francis, Executive Director, with names and contact information: Elizabeth@rihumanities.org or (401)-273-2250