Democracy demands wisdom and vision in its citizens. Join us in telling policy makers that the humanities matter. Write to your legislator, sign a petition, and please, share your humanities story with us using the form below so that your words may be used in advocacy efforts. Find resources here to help make the case for the humanities and follow along on social media using #HumanitiesMatter #SavetheNEH.
What impact do Councils make nationwide?
- Councils stimulate local economies by investing in museums, libraries, festivals, and public programming that enrich communities’ quality of life.
- Councils leverage more than $4 at the local level for every federal dollar they regrant.
- Councils partner with over 8,800 organizations nationwide.
For more information about state council funding, see: The State Humanities Councils: An Investment in America’s Communities (2020)
Impact of the Rhode Island Council for the Humanities:
Explore the impact of your Humanities Council through the resources linked below which were provided to congressional leaders at the March 2020 Humanities on the Hill advocacy gathering.
- Reaching Rhode Islanders – FY2019 Grant Spotlights
- Humanities in Focus – Culture is Key: Strengthening Rhode Island’s Civic Health through Cultural Participation
- Impact Spotlight – Civic Engagement through the Humanities
- FY19 Grants in District One (Over $124,050 invested through 34 grants)
- FY19 Grants in District Two ($149,000 invested through 20 grants)
- XIX: Shall Not Be Denied – a partnership initiative of the Humanities Council and the RI Department of State to commemorate the centennial of the 19th Amendment.
In the News:
- Statement from the Federation of State Humanities Councils in response to the President’s FY 2019 Budget Request
- Rhode Island leads defense of National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities on House Floor
- Read a statement from the Humanities Council on the proposed FY18 federal budget cuts.
Contact Your Legislator
Use this simple action form to call or email your members of Congress to urge them to support funding for the NEH and the State Humanities Councils. Talking points about the impact of Humanities Councils is provided within the form and you’re able to personalize the message.
Tell Your Story
Email the Council to tell us why the humanities matter to you!